Saturday, July 25, 2015

Recovery



I had my surgery on June 25th and have been at home recovering ever since. This is my first major surgery and I have to say the recovery process is an interesting one. Aside from the obvious physical sensations and limitations (which I won't go into here) there are some mental aspects also involved in healing. For the most part I feel very, very relaxed (and this is without the drugs now). It's not hard to feel this way when your recovery surroundings are acres of woods and fields on a beautiful summer day. I received a hammock as a birthday gift from my husband and I cannot begin to tell you how relaxed I felt lying there on a summer afternoon gazing up at the white, amorphous shapes of clouds moving above. I closed my eyes and listened to the many different birds- robins, the western wood pee wee, swainson's thrush and crows to name a few. Each one with their own unique and beautiful sound. Now that I have the luxury of time I can sit back and actually enjoy my surroundings more.
 One learns patience as one heals. You can't really rush healing- it happens in its own time. The joy is in sitting back and letting this happen. It almost reminds me of being a kid again and being off for the summer (except that I can't go in the pool-Dr.'s orders!).
All to soon it will be time to go back to work again. But the good news is I will be retiring from my day job in a few months and will be able to work on my art full time so I will focus on the positive and stay true to my dream.
 May you all do the same, whatever your dream is!

No comments: