Sunday, March 8, 2015

Painting Powerful Experiences (Blood Moon 2014)

Have you ever had something happen to you that you couldn't explain? Maybe you were afraid to talk about it because people might think you're crazy? (heaven frobid!) Well I had a very wonderous thing happen to me awhile back and I decided I would do a painting of this event.
I have always liked to go out and look at the stars or the moon at night. I would sometimes stay up late to catch a meteor shower with my kids when  they were little. So when I heard about the Blood Moon coming on October 8, 2014 I was intrigued since I had never witnessed one before. The Blood Moon is a special lunar eclipse which turns the moon a beautiful orange-red color. I won't go into  the scientific explanation for that here but you can find out all the details if you like. 
The peak of the eclipse was supposed to happen at 3 am that day. The night before I just said to myself that I was too tired and decided to skip the event, telling myself I can look up pictures on the internet tomorrow. So I went to sleep and didn't give it much thought.
 I woke up the next morning at exactly 3am! Well I just had to go outside to see if I could see anything. I stepped outside and was immediately struck by the absolute silence there.
No dogs barking in the distance, no owls hooting, or frogs singing. It was absolutely still. Up above the tall trees I could see the moon glowing a beautiful red orange. I was in awe of the beauty of this amazing event and stood for a long time staring at it. As I turned to go back inside my eye caught the shape of a person standing at the edge of the woods. She looked like a young Native American woman and the vision of her slowly faded away. Was this a wrinkle in time? Who knows but the whole experience was amazing!

No comments: