Sunday, August 18, 2013

This morning i got a call from a blocked artist friend. She wanted to start painting again but every time she looked at the blank watercolor paper she just couldn't start painting. I know how she feels! Sometimes I have trouble starting starting a painting because I want it to be "perfect". I don't want to "ruin" the paper and have to start over. Then I remind myself there are no perfect paintings, and if I do make a mistake, so what? It is only paper (albeit rather expensive paper!) 
One way I have learned to get around this block is to paint smaller paintings. It is much easier to start a painting on a small 7 x 5 inch piece of watercolor paper and these can make wonderful paintings when framed and hung as a group. It's also a good way to warm up before tackling a larger painting. Here is one I did of a crow. So have fun with this and try some smaller paintings to get back in the painting groove! SOLD

No comments: